How can you keep your smile bright and white for longer? By following some of these steps to prevent stains from developing in your teeth:
- Regularly brush and floss your teeth. Often dark pigments from foods and drinks become trapped in the microscopic ridges of tooth enamel tissue, and they cause permanent stains unless they are regularly removed. Additionally, plaque bacteria attract stains, making it even more important to regularly brush and floss them away.
- Visit the dentist every six months for a cleaning and exam. We will scale tartar off of your teeth, which is a hardened plaque that cannot be cleaned away with a toothbrush. Like plaque, tartar also attracts stains.
- Avoid consuming staining foods and drinks in excess. Some of these foods and drinks include tea, coffee, wine, curry, pasta sauce, soy sauce, berries, soda, balsamic vinegar, etc.
- Rinse your mouth with water after drinking a staining beverage. This will help to clean away dark pigments as well as the sugars and acids that eat away at tooth enamel.
- Chewing on sugar-free gum. This stimulates the flow of saliva that neutralizes acids and cleans the mouth. It can also help to clean pigments off of the surface of teeth.
- When drinking staining beverages, use a straw to help prevent them from coating the surface of your teeth.